Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pamela Gay is amazing

I'll write up more about my experience at TAM later, but I have to direct your attention to the outstanding talk given by Pamela Gay. She has posted the text here: http://www.starstryder.com/2012/07/15/make-the-world-better/

This talk received the loudest and longest standing ovation of any talk that I attended at TAM. I was in tears, as were many others in the crowd. I went to thank her after the speech, and started crying again. She gave me a big hug.

This was so incredibly brave. While the crowd was overwhelmingly in support of her talk, I know she also pissed off people. I know she pissed off powerful people. I know she risked a lot to do this, and she did it for me.

Not like, me individually, but all the women like me: young women in science and skepticism who don't have the connections or support to be able to fight back. She is genuinely fighting to make the world a better place for those of us with less power than her. She is absolutely amazing.


I am writing this post while wearing my brand-new "Stopping harassment starts here " shirt. You can get your own by emailing Pamela. 


And however we choose to do it, we can all make the world a better place. Whenever you have the chance to stand up for those less powerful than yourself, do it.


I promise, it will mean the world to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment